Jan Freicher is a composer, well versed in jazz as well as classical music, his compositions display and appealing fusion of both idioms. He has written music for a wide variety of settings and instrumentations: chamber music, orchestra compositions, titles for solo vibraphone, music for film and theater.
He is both a pianist and vibraphonist. Holds PhD degree.
After studying composition and jazz mallets at the Music Academy in Katowice (Poland), he entered the master class of Bill Molenhof - famous composer of vibraphone music, at the Academy of Music in Nuremberg (Germany). Under his guidance, he became interested in composing music for vibraphone.
His artistic achievements includes more than 80 compositions and 17 recorded albums. Jan Freicher is a founder and leader of ensambles - Fourth Floor, Symphonic Fusion and Vadomaya Collective.
Since 2011 Jan Freicher teaches at the State Academy of Music in Gdansk/Poland.
Currently lives in Switzerland.
AwardsCreative Activity (composer, arranger)
Artistic Activity (instrumentalist)
- Award of the Italian Society of Authors and Publishers, Fermo (Italy), 2009
- 1st Place, PAS Italy Composition Contest, Fermo (Italy), category: solo compositions, 2008
- 3rd Place, PAS Italy Composition Contest, Fermo (Italy), category: chamber, 2008
- 1st Place Duke Ellington’s music arranging competition, Bruno Rother Wettbewerb, Fürth (Germany), 2006
- Grand Prix of Jazz Individuality Contest, 43rd Jazz on the Odra River Festival, Wroclaw (Poland), 2007
- 1st Prize XXXIII Key to the Career, Gorzów Jazz Celebrations, Gorzów Wlkp. (Poland), 2007
- Soloist Individual Award, Summer Jazz Festival, Pinneberg (Germany), 2007
- Award for Artistic Individuality, XXVIII Bydgoszcz musical impressions, Bydgoszcz (Poland), 2005
- Award of the Ministry of Culture, XXVIII Bydgoszcz musical impressions, Bydgoszcz, 2005
- Special Mention, III National Youth Jazz Band Competition, Radom (Poland), 2004
- 1st Prize, I Vibraphone Competition, Opole (Poland), 2003